In 2017, I stumbled on a Facebook video about Gary Vaynerchuk talking about entrepreneurship. The first time I saw his video I was like Who Is This Person ?
He had this crazy intensity and passion when he talked and I started tuning in to his content on Instagram & Podcast just to absorb his perspective. So, when his book , Crushing It came out in 2018 I knew I had to get his book.
So who is Gary Vaynerchuk ?
- Born in the Soviet Union and moved to US with his family as a kid.
- Established one of the first ecommerce wine sites called Wine Library and helped his dad grow the family business from 4MUSD to 60 MUSD.
- Went on to run VaynerMedia, one of the world’s hottest digital agencies.
- Venture capitalist, 4-time New York Times bestselling author, and an early investor in companies such as Twitter, Tumblr, Venmo and Uber.
- Currently the subject of DailyVee, an online documentary series highlighting what it’s like to be a CEO and public figure in today’s digital world.
- Currently the Host of #AskGaryVee, a business and advice Q&A show online and has a podcast, The Gary Vaynerchuk Audio Experience.
What is the story behind Crushing It ?
Before he wrote the book Crushing It, he wrote a book called Crush It. In his previous book Crush it, he taught entrepreneurs how to monetize their passion by using social media to build a strong personal brand to attract customers and advertisers to their websites and transform themselves as experts that brands and companies would pay them to talk, consult and attend events.
Crushing It is his sequel to the book Crush It and features case studies of entrepreneurs that had used the strategies he outlined in his previous book.
So what is Crushing it ?
The definition of Crushing It is if you are earning what you need to live the life that you want and you love every single day of it.
Most of us are told that we have to make a choice in life – settle and work at a job we don’t really love just to pay the bills or follow our passion but live the life of a starving artist.
The Crushing It culture is about understanding that today’s digital environment provides opportunities.
What does this book cover ?
Crushing It covers 2 parts which are
- Part 1 : The mindset behind Crushing It which is creating a personal brand and why it’s important. He talks about what are the values that one should embody and the 3 types of fears that prevent us from taking action to build a personal brand.
- Part 2 : The platforms in digital marketing such as Musical.ly, Snapchat, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, Podcasts, Voice First .
He talks about the distinctions behind each of these platforms and outlines tactics on how to approach each platform.
What is the recipe to Crushing It ?
- Always respect the audience, most people are very good at sniffing out hypocrisy and opportunism.
- You need to constantly be in do mode. Gary Vaynerchuk mentioned how he sees people out there constantly over thinking their content and agonizing over their decisions, taking forever to make their mind. They end up wasting so much time worrying about what people think when they make mistakes.
How do you develop content according to Crushing It ?
Develop high quality native microcontent.
It means content that is specifically and perfectly designed to suit the platform you are using to disseminate it. Even if your audience overlaps among the platforms, people are in a complete different mindset when they are visiting one platform than when visiting another.
What are the fears limiting people ?
- Fear of Failure – There will always be people around you to tell you not to do things. You have to let yourself be your sole judge and jury
- Fear of Wasting time – People are so scared that they will be wasting time if they try to build a business even when their time isn’t valuable
- Fear of Seeming Vain – Eveyone looks bad/amateur when trying something new.
One Tip I picked up for each Platform ?
Retweet feature offers a remarkable opportunity to create instant awareness
Youtube isn’t going to make you charismatic or interesting but it will expose you if you are. It cant do that however if you don’t put yourself out there. Give yourself a year to adjust and try different approaches and see what kind of response you get. Listen to your audience. Don’t let perfection be your enemy. Give yourself a fair chance to succeed
Facebook algorithm will always give preferential treatment to native Facebook content. You’ll get far greater reach by creating an original video for Facebook than by recycling something from another platform.
Instagram stories was copied from Snapchat because it gave freedom to people to create and people are extremely interested in sharing the raw footage of their lives as long as it doesn’t stick around to haunt them forever
This platform allows the audience to multitask whilst they are listening to your content, so effectively this app is about selling time .However promoting podcast shows still has to go through your other social media channels
It’s still a relative new space but Gary Vaynerchuk mentioned how important it is for entrepreneurs to start getting acquainted with this technology to build their skills in order to be the first to grab opportunity in this space.
Connect with him :
Website : https://www.garyvaynerchuk.com/
Instagram : @garyvee
Podcast : The GaryVee Audio Experience
Get the book at